Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Nike Pro Combat Recap and Reviews

Unless you live under a rock, you know that 10 Nike schools unveiled their Pro Combat uniforms for this season. I'll do a quick recap of each and rate them on a scale of 1-10. So without further ado, let the games begin. Note - Click on the school's name for a link to their Pro Combat page on Nike's website.

Alabama - So these ones are pretty lame. Anyone watching on TV won't be able to tell the difference, and quite frankly houndstooth is so unoriginal. Every 'Bama concept I see on the boards tries to be unique by using houndstooth. Well I have some news for you, it sucks. 3/10

Boise State - Now we're talking! Many people are upset about the fact that these are gray, because gray is not a school color, blah blah blah. If it's only going to be for one game then I don't have a problem with it at all. I'm digging the oversized helmet logo and the one blue sleeve. Pretty solid set for the Broncos. 6/10

Florida - Gator skin! Awesome! Well not really. It's definately an upgrade over their Pro Combat unis from last season (yep, the toilet seat pants) but this is a little blah to me. TCU was the first team to use reptile skin so I think they own the right to be the only team to use it. Florida goes a little overboard with the gator skin in my opinion, but it looks alright. I think it'd look cooler with white pants. 4/10

Miami - First of all, I don't like the green helmet paired with an orange monochrome uniform. But I do like the palm tree pattern on the green parts of the uniform. Overall it's kind of disappointing. I think they could have just made a home uniform of last year's PC and called it a day. Oh well. 5/10

Ohio State - I like the inspiration and simplicity of these. The number font is really cool, something I can't recall seeing before in my lifetime. Other than that there's nothing fancy about these, but I do like them. 5/10

Oregon State - Cool throwback inspired uniforms for OSU. The stripes on the undershirt is something that has been talked about before as a solution to the garbage-looking stripes we see on uniforms today. This will be a good experiment to see what they'll look like on the field, but I don't think they'll look so hot when it's all said and done. I applaud Nike for at least trying it out though. 6/10

Pitt - These are a magnificent piece of work. Exactly what Pro Combat should be. I like the steel beam-like helmet stripe and number font. These are just badass uniforms all around. 8/10

TCU - Cool last year, boring this year. Arguably the most unique Pro Combat uniforms from last season, but it's time for something new. I think Nike should have given a new Pro Combat to some other school if they were just going to basically reuse TCU's Pro Combat from last season. Regardless, they still look good. 7/10

Virginia Tech - Black for black's sake? Perhaps, but these still look great. The orange and maroon designs really pop on the black, making for one nice looking uniform. The computer chip pattern, or whatever you want to call it, comes off as a little too cheesy for me though. All in all a very sharp look for VaTech. 8/10

West Virginia - Personally, I think these are the best Pro Combat uniforms this season. The dusty coal looking pattern on the helmet is fantastic, I'll just put it out there that it is the coolest football helmet I've ever seen. Smudged black, as Nike calls it, on the rest of the uniform looks great too, especially on the numbers. The inspiration for this uniform puts it over the top. 9/10

Well there you have it. I can't wait to see these on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment